Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is a larger project?
A. For larger projects, it has to be multiple types of items grouped together on one invoice from one vendor for the purpose of a larger upgrade or replacement project that is for multiple branches or system-wide.
Q. Can you buy filament, RFID tags, receipt paper, games, books, cables, etc. with an equipment purchase?
A. These items are considered supplies and are not allowed. Be careful of bundles that include these items. The items would need to be listed separately on the invoice and crossed out when submitted for reimbursement.
Q. What is the policy for the surplus of grant funded items and use after a five-year shelf-life?
A. Any items purchased in FY2013 or earlier, the bonds for these funding years are no longer active. As a result, the equipment purchased during these years can be used as the libraries see fit.
Any items purchased in FY2014 forward are still considered a part of active bonds. They must remain in public access areas/used in public programming.
Q. Can we use grant funded items in areas other than public access, such as circulation?
A. Only after the bond has expired: items purchased FY2013 and earlier.
Q. What do we do if the pricing of an item changes from the time of the purchasing plan to the time of purchasing (i.e. raised in price)?
A. For items that have changes in pricing, you may have to adjust the quantity purchased:
- If it is lower, you can add to the quantity.
- If it is higher, you may have to the lower the quantity.
At the reimbursement phase, you also have the option adjust the “Amount Requested” on the payment request form to fit your needs. You may keep the quantity but only ask for the amount that adds to your allocation.
For example: the invoice is $2,600 but you only have $2,500 left on your allocation amount. You can put the “Invoice Amount” as $2,600 and the “Amount Requested” as $2,500. The library would then cover the remaining $100 from their own funds.
Remember the grand totals on the payment request invoices list must match your allocation exactly!
Q. Can I change vendor and/or item after submitting the purchasing plan?
A. Due to the restrictions this year, you cannot change vendor or item after they are approved. If a serious issue occurs with the vendor after the purchasing plan is approved, please send an email to Lib Tech Support.
Q. What if my invoice bundles items together and includes unallowable items?
A. If hardware is bundled with unallowable items (such as computer accessories, installation and support), you must ask the vendor to split the charges.
They can be on the same invoice but different line items or you can get two different invoices (one for hardware and one for other services) and only submit the invoice with the hardware. If a computer accessory is included as a free part of buying hardware (such as a keyboard/mouse with a Dell computer), as long as the invoice says free, it will not be a problem.
Q. Can Lib Tech funding be used to pay for the library's portion of E-Rate Category 2?
A. Lib Tech funding can be used for equipment and cabling as a larger project only (see allowable items list). Installation and maintenance or service plans are not allowable and will not be reimbursed.
If you are apply for Category 2 funding this year, here is a timeline for both E-Rate and Lib Tech (in bold):
- Go out to bid for E-Rate services by December 2018.
- File Category 2 application sometime between January and March 2019.
- Wait to hear if funded - could be before April 30, 2019 or as late as October 2019 or later.
- Once funding is committed, plan to install services. NOTE: E-Rate doesn't cover 100% of the cost of Category 2 services. Libraries are responsible for the non-discounted portion (discount rate can be found in the library system's EPC profile).
- For Lib Tech, wait until at least July 1, 2019 to install services or, preferably, until after Lib Tech purchasing plan approval.
- Submit Lib Tech purchasing plan for approval in October 2019.
- Install equipment at the very latest by September 30, 2020. For Lib Tech, must be installed by January 2020. Extension of deadline is possible in special cases.
- Apply for Lib Tech reimbursement for Category 2 allowable items only by February 2020. Extension of deadline is possible in special cases.